Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oh Dear........again!

*****I think the last half of this post is now null and void because poor lil swiss died already! thankfully I kept the receipt but I don't know that I'm ready to try this hamster thing ....again. And yesterday I looked in the fish tank and couldn't find the fish....anywhere! but he was just hiding Phew!!!!
Mickey Squeaky R.I.P

Last night my sister and I were flipping thru some pictures on the computer and some adorable ones of Mickey (the hamster) came up, so she wanted to go see him. I was opening the side of the cage and no sooner had she said "How long is that hamster going to live? He's already 2 years old isn't he?" then I reached in to wake him up and realized he was....... DEAD! :-(
(and he hadn't been dead very long) Of course Courtney and Cora walked in that same exact moment. Luckily Courtney was pretty calm about it since we had company over. She's not one for public displays of emotion. So this morning we had a little funeral out in the woods and she made a sign that says "My best friend Mickey the hamster" to mark the spot.
Here's Courtney & Gunner mourning over Mickey after the funeral. Breaks my heart! :-(

This morning, Courtney, Grandma and I went to town and came home with 'Swiss'. Isn't she pretty? We left with plans to find 'Cheddar', a carbon copy of Mickey that Courtney had already named last night. But there were only 2 hamsters at Petco, once grey and one white. So we now have "swiss", because "mozerella" just didn't sound right and we don't know of any grey cheeses. Apparently Courtney was determined to use a cheesey name :-) Marshmellow would be fitting too, IF we were going for sugary food names. Usually new hamsters are nervous about being transported, being in a new place and being handled which equals biting, and sometimes getting sick . But Swiss is adapting beautifully. She's already such a sweetie, who loves coming out to play and doesn't mind being handled at all. what a good girl!

Our other new addition (from a few days ago) is Bubbles the 28cent fish :-) Ozzie "likes" him... A-lot. I'm really hoping there are no more funerals around here any time soon!

9 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Awww ~ poor Courtney! That picture of her and the dog on the steps is so sad. :( I'm so glad that she was able to get a new pet quickly.

Drew said...

So sorry, Courtney. :( Mickey went in a much better way, though, than Rainbow. (Weslea's hamster) Hope Swiss has a nice, long life too just like Mickey!

Alisha said...

I'm still in shock over this considering our conversation the very night before!! FREAKY!! Swiss is such a cutie!!!

RIP Mickey:(

Mills Family said...

What a mom to run right out and get a new little guy... Our hamster lived 3 years... no joke! We were still shocked when he passed, and Taylor still talks about him 4 years later! We've now moved on to Hermit Crabs, though... and they are wanting fish... it never ends!

Rue said...

Hi Lori :)

The same thing happened to us. We had a hamster for a long time and when it died we got another, but it died right afterwards. After that we were done LOL

rue

jescandlon said...

Oh my, Swiss died too. No wonder Swiss was so calm-he had bigger worries that a new environment. How sad for Courtney. How do you return a dead hamster? I would definitely do it quickly.

Knit Purl Gurl said...

How sad.. poor thing.

'Thought I'd check out your blog, Karrie

Drew said...

Oh where, oh where has Lori gone?
Oh where, oh where could she be?
It's been 16 long days since her last post.
Oh where, oh where could she be?

Lori said...

Here I am! I'm not dead or hiding or anything like that. stinking wireless has been working only when it feels like it, which is hardly ever Grrrr. Sometimes I'll wake up and see the light blinking at 3am but just don't feel like going on at the time LOL Of course it never stays on when I need it. We got a new router and it seems to be working now *finger crossed*