Wednesday, February 11, 2009

~The best chili I ever ate



I'm forever looking for recipes to help me deplete our supply of deer meat in the freezer. Not because I WANT to eat it, but it's there and well, I don't want poor Bambi (or in this case, BUCK) to have died in vain---so we eat it :-( I found this recipe boasting to be "the best chili I ever ate" in one of Sarge's magazines and ripped it out to give it a try. It was made by a fellow named Ernie Nichols at a WV deer camp. I started cooking the meat Monday night for dinner, but I DESPISE the smell of deer meat and it made me feel ill, so we ate cereal for dinner instead :-) I finished cooking the meat tho and put it in the fridge for later. Last night I made this recipe with the meat that I no longer had to smell :) Maybe I'll just have to pre-cook alot of the meat and then store it all in the freezer to pull out as I need it - minus the retched smell. Enough about retching, back to the recipe.........Cuz I'm sure you're just dying to try it now aren't you?! LOL

I know I'm not making it sound appitizing, but it came with the title "the best chili I ever ate" and it really honestly was! So go put a clothespin on your nose, cook up some venison and make this super easy chili- you won't regret it!!!!

2 Tbsp veg. oil
1 lb ground venison (or any ground meat)
1 c. diced onions
1 medium red or green pepper chopped
16 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can tomato juice
16 oz can pork and beans
16 oz can kidney beans (drain and rince them!)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper (i'm a whimp I didn't add this)
1 c. grated cheddar cheese (i didn't add this either)

corn bread topping:
2 c. cornmeal
15 oz can cream corn
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar

Brown venison in oil. Place in large pot. Add onion, tomatoes, tomato juice, pork and beans, kidney beans, salt, garlic, chili powder and red pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a seperate bowl combine cornmeal, cream corn, milk and sugar. Pour chili in deep 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. (i didn't, but i'm sure it's good) Pour cornmeal mixture evenly over top of chili. Bake in oven at 400 for 35 mins. serves six.

1 comment:

cattytg said...

I have like 80 pounds of venison to use up, THANK YOU!