Wednesday, February 11, 2009

~Winter comfort food = Yummy!

Found this yummy recipe in the family fun magazine, it's the perfect winter comfort food and it's Delicious! It tasted awesome with this French bread I made from the kitchenaid cookbook that came with my mixer that I just found packed in the moving boxes. Guess I should've unpacked it sooner- because it was gooooood. Something about working hard for your bread, makes it tastes so dern good :-)

Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Soup (from the family fun magazine-they have great recipes!)

6 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
1 cup chopped yellow squash
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 teaspoons thyme
2 cups light cream
3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish if desired
2 cups chopped cooked chicken


Step 1
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth. Gradually add the broth, then turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, squash, corn, and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Step 2
Add the cream, Parmesan, and chicken. Heat the soup for an additional 10 minutes, but do not let it boil.

Step 3
To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle it with more Parmesan, if desired. Makes about 15 cups.




Nutritional Information:
Per serving (1 cup):
Calories 226
Total Fat 14 g (22% DV)
Saturated Fat 8g (39% DV)
Cholesterol 59 mg (20% DV)
Sodium 845 mg (35% DV)
Total Carbohydrate 14 g (5% DV)
Fiber 2g (7% DV)
Sugars 3g
Protein 12 g (24% DV)
Vitamin A 1484 IU (30% DV)

Percent daily values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

4 comments:

Drew said...

Looks delicious. I'd have to eliminate the mushrooms, but, other than that, yummy! I can't believe you made your own bread. Beyond that...I can't believe you have your own kitchenaid mixer. So jealous! :)

Alisha said...

mmmmmm that bread looks divine!!! i want to try this soup too!! speaking of soups....have you tried the chicken gnocchi soup at olive garden yet??? i realllly think you'd like it!!!

Lori said...

andrea i'm not a fan of mushrooms either but you really don't even notice them- i swear. and trust me, if I was a working gal I would never, EVER make my own bread. But since i'm a SAHM I make it part of my job description and I love doing it :-) (and I LOVE my KA mixer)


Oh alisha that's hilarious cuz D just had that soup yesterday but I had my 'regular' and thought of you :-)

Knit Purl Gurl said...

OMG that sounds amazing!!!