Saturday, June 28, 2008

~Hometown carnival

Duane and the boys had to setup the army simulator at the lil carnivaly-thingy that was in 'town'. I say that loosely because it's a wee small town, we're talking 1 stop light literally . The vermits and I stayed for a little while (until the rain started) to watch them tear down the tent and long enough for Cody and sgt Downy to play cornhole (who named that game btw?!) and long enough for nort to win some stuff. Me, I was sittin in the hummer. I pointed to the building and said "that's where I used to go back in '84" like I do EVERY single time we pass it and I was a little surprised to hear Cort ask "18 or 19 mom?" and I thought "18 or 19 what?!" and she oh so innocently said "1884 or 1984". (gulp!) The problem was she wasn't being sarcastic at all, she was quite serious. The old brick part of the building was built in 1870 pretty dern old, so I guess I see where she was coming from. She has no interest what so ever in history, unlike me, who was infatuated with Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables and Nancy Drew books. I knew and understood the different era's and decades even tho they were WELL before my time. And to further complicate things she's seen pics of a younger me sitting in my Dad's antique cars or in old log buildings and I still have a dress from when I was about 6, a prairie dress complete with apron that looks like it came straight from a trunk of the lost Donner party. So I understand her confusion, but still......did she just call me old?!?!?! She later redeemed herself by interupting a song I was singing in the car to ask me how someone could audition for American Idol. To which she promptly said I should definately try out because I'm such a good singer. What a tone-deaf little sweet heart of a daughter I have :-)

6 comments:

Drew said...

I'd be over at the concession stand. Yum!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Yee-haw!

Drew said...

Ya, but did you tell her that you're too OLD to audition for A.I.? :)

Lori said...

heck no i didn't mention that! but when i do i'll be sure to tell her you are too LOL :-0

jescandlon said...

Hey, I thought we all stopped at 29?!

Lori said...

oh shoot, i forgot!