Friday, March 7, 2008

~The Big Green Flop

Ahhh the importance of following directions & staying OFF the phone while cooking. Last night I was GOING to make chickpea burgers......................
the recipe can be found here:
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/hamburger-recipes/vegetarian-chickpea-burgers/article.html



I was so excited to try it, but I choose a bad day to try something new (did ya read the post below??? My head was not exactly screwed on straight) and I had too much chaos going on around me (the kids had friends over, the phone kept ringing, I was trying to make too many different things at the same time). I didn't have flat leaf parsley leaves so I threw spinich leaves in the food processor (cuz i throw spininch in practically everything!) But that made the whole mixture very green.


So I added some worchestershire sauce, browning sauce & liquid smoke to try to make it a little "browner". Which didn't really work :-(



So I decided to try cooking them anyways, I mean, just cuz they're green doesn't mean they won't taste good right? Besides it's almost St Pattys Day.




After cooking them for about 10 minutes each side and they still didn't firm up, I realized that I had added the oil that was meant for the skillet to the mixture while I was on the phone with a neighbor! They were waaaay too moist. oops! So I tried putting them on a cookie sheet and baking them in the oven. Thankfully I thought of making alternatives while I was making this. I had hotdogs in the oven on a cookie sheet, seasoned potatoe wedges and then I put frozen burgers in a skillet once I realized that the great green goo was not going to get eaten for dinner.


Funny thing is they did eventually turn brown---and Duane asked me why I was throwing away 3 hamburgers LOL Fooled him :-)

I sauted garlic and mushrooms to top the burgers with onion buns and it was really pretty good, even tho I practically burned the shrooms while I was on the phone with Duane. He calls every night to make sure the Cavs game is being DVRed Grrrrrr :-(

2 comments:

Alisha said...

hmmm, who would have thought that you can make burgers from BABY FOOD!?? LOL!

Lori said...

ya and it had the texture of playdough. mmmm yummy